Friday, September 26, 2008

Adventures in Canada: The Maple Syrup Mystery (AKA BCBBC)

BCBBC08 052 I just got home from BarCampBank BC in the incredible city of Vancouver. All I have to say is “Wow”! The BarCamp and the few days I was able to stay in the city afterwards were just plain awesome.



I’ve got a ton of notes from the event and will be getting some more in-depth posts up as I digest the giant amounts of info and ideas that came from it.



This was my second BarCamp, so I wasn’t unfamiliar with the format of the event, but that doesn’t mean I wasn’t still impressed with it. I think, if anything, this event highlighted just how cool it is that every single one of these is different in its own unique way.



BCBBC08 068 As Mark McSpadden pointed out (from the live feed chat box no less!) after the topic wall had been finalized (as finalized as a BarCamp wall can be), we had just accomplished in 45 minutes, as a group, what normally takes a conference planning committee months.



The quality of discussion was great. So much got brought up, so many ideas got thrown around, and so much positive energy was at the event that it was just plain inspiring.



I think the coolest part of the camp wasn’t even the discussion, but BCBBC08 084 the fact that, with the help of Brent Dixon, the whole event was streamed live via Mogulus. Maybe it was that I knew people were actually watching live, or that every once in awhile we’d be relayed a question from a view, or that it totally fed my geek side. It was just too cool.



There were so many awesome sessions; from measuring a web 2.0 campaign, to social finance, to tapping into existing networks. There were so many great, smart people in one place and the things that came out of it were just incredible.



I’ll have a couple of posts up in the near future that go deeper into the sessions I attended as I get my notes organized and digested. Until then, enjoy the videos on Opensource CU, the live blogging that came from William Azaroff, and all the videos and pictures on YouTube and Flickr.



A huge thanks goes out to Gene Blishen, William Azaroff, and Tim McAlpine for making this event happen. You guys rock.

3 comments:

wazaroff said...

It was so great to finally meet you in person, Andy. So glad we got some good time to hang out! Come back soon!

james w said...

I'll be watching live next time!

Andy said...

@wazaroff

It was awesome getting to meet you and hang out. Hopefully I'll be able to make it up that way again soon! Thanks again for helping organize BCBBC, it rocked my socks.

@james w

Right on, make sure to check out opensourcecu.com Wednesday and Thursday as the 2008 Partnership Symposium will be live!